Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday 26 November 2011

What is SEM

What is search engine marketing (SEM)? What is search engine optimisation (SEO)? How do I promote my website? Do I have to outsource to a consultant or is that going to harm my site since they're all spammers anyway?
There is a lot of helpful information, as well as a lot of misinformation, floating around regarding search engine optimisation (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM). First of all, let's start with the names: SEO stands for search engine optimisation (or optimization if you're from the States). In its simplest form SEO is the process of tailoring a website (text, titles, meta tags, alt tags, etc) so that the search engines will assign a good rank to the site for specific search terms.
But with the advent of search engines introducing fees for guaranteed inclusion in their indices, directories charging for reviews and the emergence of PPC listings, SEO now has an element of media buying mixed in. Thus, thanks to Danny Sullivan, it has now been called search engine marketing or SEM (you can still call it SEO if you want).
The SEM Guide is meant to be both a tutorial and a general information resource. I am not selling or promoting anything (other than best practices). I have done SEO / SEM for 5 years and started this site as a way to organise my bookmarks and the information I had collected over the years. If you frequent other prominent SEM resources you'll find that this tutorial, like most search engine promotion sites, tends to go over the same ground. This is because THERE ARE NO SECRETS to successful search engine positioning - just experience, a lot of research and tons of hard work.
If you don't have the time to do it yourself get some expert help. But if you want to try your hand at promoting your own web site or you just want a better insight into how it should be done take the search engine marketing tutorial by following the steps.
The SEM Guide covers other subjects that are not included in the step-by-step tutorial so be sure to check out the side and top menus where every page of the site is listed. Now, on with the search engine marketing tutorial:

12 comments:

  1. SEM-SEO-PAKISTAN has given a healthy opinion to get professional seo training in order to become experienced and methodical in approach.
    Seo Training in Lahore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited your blog and read your all posts very carefully you are sharing good posts actually I am looking for .Best SEO Company in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited your blog and read your all posts very carefully you are sharing good posts actually I am looking for SEO Training Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited your blog and read your all posts very carefully you are sharing good posts actually I am looking for.Best SEO Company in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited your blog and read your all posts very carefully you are sharing good posts actually I am looking for.SEO Training Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visited your blog and read your all posts very carefully you are sharing good posts actually I am looking for .SEO Training Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited your blog and read your all posts very carefully you are sharing good posts actually I am looking for Best SEO Company in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  8. IT Heights PK is a leading SEO Training Institute in Lahore Pakistan as we are offering Practical SEO Training in Lahore. Feel free to contact us for SEO Training Courses in Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete